SLIMILIZATION – the big reveal
The Ludum Dare theme is Connected Worlds. At first glance, SLIMILIZATION doesn’t seem to match the theme, but the game actually has a secret. Basically, it connects player into the same world. Everyone is playing on the same map, starting at different random location, like in the game Sid Meier’s Civilization.
There are a few hints left in the game to let the user know they are playing online:
– The slime color is random for each player, so it’s likely that you would see slimes of different colors when meeting another Slimilization.
– When viewing the same screen as another player, you can see their mouse movement.
– When building a world wonder, you can name the wonder whatever you like. Once a wonder is built, every players, no matter their location, get a message that your wonder was built in a faraway land, with the name that you chose. So if the wonder is named “My Giant Butt”, they would see “My Giant Butt was built in a faraway land”. (like in Sid Meier’s Civilization)
Also, one of the achievements in the game for Gamejolt and Newgrounds is to have one of your slime mate with a slime from another Slimilization.
I know a lot of players wouldn’t actually know that the game was multiplayer since there is only a small chance to start close to another player. Also, since the game doesn’t have any persistent state, the civilization disappears once the player leaves. I was hoping that players do stay in the game long enough to find other players, and from some comments, it seems like they did. I could have said right off the bat that the game was multiplayer, but I thought it’d be more fun to surprise the player with that.
The game doesn’t have a lot of instruction, so I wrote a little guide for you all:
– So the water pond does nothing. Sorry, it’s just for decoration.
– Slimes start out hungry. To feed them, you need to build a tree. They don’t always go to the tree immediately, so you have to be patient.
– Once fed, they are lonely. To solve that issue, you need your slimes to meet. If two slimes are lonely (not hungry), they will talk, and become happy.
– After their chat, the slimes are in a relationship, so they need a place to mate. There’s a building for that. When one of the slime goes into a mating tent, the mate will follow. Note that slimes will not mate with their parents, they need slimes from another family. They do mate with slimes from another civilization.
– Both slimes come out of the mating tent pregnant. They will go back home and will give birth to another slime each.
– The life expectancy of slimes are 5 mins, but slimes will only die when they’re lonely or hungry. If there’s a Wonder close to a slime’s house, that slime will live for 10 mins.
That’s all the secret for Slimilization. I didn’t have much time, so I couldn’t get a battle system for the game, which is something I really wanted. I’m glad I had Wonders though, because that’s really the one thing that pops in your mind when you think Civilization.